With so much at stake, investing in any capital project is one that will take a great deal of planning and consideration. Many factors, including cost, safety, and reliability, should always be considered. On-site sodium hypochlorite generation (OSHG) is one of those investments that should be heavily researched before moving forward.
OSHG has proven to be a cost-effective, reliable, and safe disinfection treatment method. The use of on-site generated sodium hypochlorite offers many advantages:
- Reduced operational cost
- Consistent solution strength
- Production of required volumes as needed
- Non-hazardous chemical handling (feed or product)
- Elimination of U.S. OSHA risk management planning requirements surrounding chlorine gas
In this article, our electrochlorination experts share their seven critical considerations for owners and operators specifying on-site hypochlorite generation solutions and confirm why De Nora Water Technologies (DNWT) ClorTec® is the preferred technology by the water treatment sector.
As expected, safety is ranked as the number-one concern for all plant owners and operators. ClorTec on-site sodium hypochlorite generators deliver a host of features that make it one of the safest systems available today.
- Intrinsically safe hydrogen management system
- Unique hydrogen-venting design, includes blowers and detectors to ensure safe operation
- Continuous hydrogen venting ensures none is trapped within the system
- Rupture disks offer an additional safety backup
- Independent expert validation of the inherent safety of the horizontal ClorTec® cell design compared to vertical cell designs*
- Our 0.8% hypochlorite solution is below the hazardous concentration limit of 1.0%
When it comes to operating costs, efficiency ranks as number two on the consideration checklist. ClorTec offers lifelong proven efficiency through its unique features, such as split flow technology, proprietary DSA coating electrodes and much more.
- Highest efficiency system in the industry with 2 kWh/lb Cl2 power consumption and 2.5-2.8 lb Salt/lb Cl2 salt consumption
- Proprietary DSA coating electrode design from De Nora electrochlorination experts
- High-efficiency SCR Rectifier
- Heater/chiller ensures system operation at optimum temperature to maximize efficiency
- Baffle design prevents brine short circuit
- Split flow design to maximize system efficiency and reduce by-product formation
- Lower carbon footprint due to lower salt deliveries required
Although third on our list, maintenance is one of the most important steps you can take to better ensure your system will perform reliably and efficiently. ClorTec’s easy-to-operate systems require minimal maintenance to maximize system life.
- Electrode life extended due to proprietary anode precious metal coatings
- Clear acrylic viewport at each end of the cell allows internal visual inspections as an initial step without taking cells offline
- Simple in-place acid cleaning procedure for cell assembly — no need to remove or disassemble any components
Unreliable systems lead to additional costs for repair, backup installations and manpower. ClorTec offers unparalleled reliability, which means total peace of mind knowing that your investment will not let you down.
- PLC controlled automatic hypochlorite batch production process
- Limited operator intervention
- Robust and durable instrument and components prevent regular system downtime
Fifth, and one of the most apparent considerations is quality. DNWT develops robust, quality solutions that are certified in line with standard industry guidelines. Rest assured that your assets are engineered to meet the tightest possible standards.
- Proprietary bipolar titanium electrodes with unmatched robust design and durability
- Bipolar electrode design with a proprietary precious metal coating provides consistent product at optimum efficiency
- Our Sugar Land Electrochlorination Center of Excellence is quality certified by ISO, BV, NSF, UL/CUL for product quality and assembly standards
- Rectifiers are certified by nationally recognized testing laboratories (NRTL)
- Fully tested state-of-the-art system
With more than 35 years of electrochlorination experience, we understand our customers’ needs and requirements. From specification and purchasing to the lifelong operation of electrochlorination systems, we help facilities maximize the life and efficiency of their investment.
- 3000 installed systems worldwide – largest brine electrochlorination installation base
- Largest capacity seawater electrochlorination and municipal brine system in the world
- A global presence and more than 35 years experience
- Electrochlorination Center of Excellence at DNWT Sugar Land, Texas facility
- A UK FTSE 100 company
Miami Dade ClorTec:
- The largest municipal electrochlorination installation in the world
- 7 x 3000 lb/d ClorTec® system
- A UK FTSE 100 company
- Installed in 2012 and commissioned in 2013
- Selected based on whole-life cost and DNWT experience
7. Service Support
Last and certainly not least, ClorTec® systems offer unparalleled support throughout the life of your system.
- Trained and knowledgeable staff who truly know how to maximize product life and efficiency
- Spare parts availability across all De Nora Water Technologies lines
- Warranty and service plans available
- 24/7 technical support
Choosing the Right Treatment System
Whether it’s a new project or an upgrade to an existing plan, choosing the right water treatment system takes careful research and planning. Find out if an on-site sodium hypochlorite system is right for you. Contact De Nora for additional product info or connect with a regional distributor today.
Better determine proper dosing based on water quality. Download our FREE dosing calculator. Click below for more information.